The Province of Ontario is seeking public input on 7 study areas being considered for expansion to the existing Greenbelt in order to protect groundwater resources.
For more information and to submit comments, an Open House run by the Province of Ontario is on Tuesday, Feb 6, 5:30 -8:00 at the Italian Canadian Club, 135 Ferguson St., Guelph from 5:30 – 8:00.
The following evening, Wednesday, Feb. 7, The Wellington Water Watchers are hosting an information session at St. James Anglican Church, 86 Glasgow St. N., Guelph, from 7:00 to 9:30
Why this is important:
- Areas in the Outer Ring of the Greater Golden Horseshoe are experiencing significant growth and are under pressure from urban development.
- Centre Wellington is one of these areas, targeted to double in size by 2041.
- Centre Wellington relies entirely on groundwater. This municipality’s groundwater resources need protection.
Save Our Water recommends that the study area east of Fergus be expanded to include this area’s natural groundwater recharge area, which includes the moraine, cold water streams and wetlands north of the urban boundary of Centre Wellington.
Save Our Water’s submission letter :
Comments can be submitted in the following ways: (it is imperative to include the EBR Registry Number – 013-1661.)
- At the Feb. 6 Open House in Guelph
- By email: mailto:email@example.com
- By mail addressed to: Protecting Water, Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Provincial Planning Policy Branch, 777 Bay St., 13th Floor, Toronto, ON M5G 2E5
- Via the Registry website: www.ebr.gov.on.ca with the Registry Number 013-1661